the application level

From: Pablo90512
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 21:43:09 PDT

    The threads on measurement remind me of an inservice that I went to. It was
    all on Math and the need for the "Application level of learning" So often
    teacher's cover only the head learning of an area but the kids aren't really
    using it to solve a problem....at the application level.

    My AP apologised profusely saying she felt sorry we had to sit through the
    inservice when it didn't apply to us. I chuckled and said...what do you mean
    by that......everything we do is at the Application level. She gave me a
    most confused look..HUH????...
    Figuring out how much warp you need for an area, measurement, ect....
    I poured it on.

    We do need standards in our schools. It is amazing to me that often we are
    the ones teaching basic standards like measurement. Each year about half of
    my students do no know where the 1/4 inch mark is on a ruler.
    Laurie

    ---