Re: Measuring

From: SANDRA ROWLAND (serowland)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 20:53:34 PDT

    This is the problem with the students inability to measure too many
    teachers have assumed that they know how. I learned early in my child's
    life never to assume they know everything, or can learn it on their on.
    When we bought him his first camera, after taking several pictures he
    opened the camera to see the pictures. I knew that you should never
    expose the film and never thought to tell him. I think when we are using
    measuring in our lessons that we need to review how to do it from the
    beginning. My sculpture professor in college would reteach at the
    beginning of the semester. It was surprising to me the number that had
    never used a ruler. How can that be? Advise is never assume they know!

    Sandra in AL

    Patricia Knott wrote:

    > I understand everyone's frustration with today's students' seeming
    > inability to handle simple tasks that most of us take for granted.
    > Skills we think somebody else is teaching.

    ---