Re: Measuring~ but Peter...

From: PHimmelber
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 15:56:05 PDT

    When I polled my students (K,2,3, 6) at the end of last semester the level of
    interest was highest where students got to build things. The list of options
    included: music, dance, drama, video, drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics
    and "building things." Sculpture and ceramics were also high on the list for
    sixth graders. We built castles, seige engines, backdrops, props and scenery,
    boats, cars, kites, houses, and such stuff. My students must measure. Many do
    not know how so we teach and teach and teach. I start with third grade but
    have my kinder and 2nd watch me measure as I explain what I am doing. I never
    stopped teaching students how to measure... some do not get it... but I never
    stop. I'll bet that drives them crazy... but the results are very satisfying
    for student and teacher... and most of them know how to measure.Peter

    ---