The Middle Ages - art project ideas?

From: L. E. Horvath (dulcius)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 15:11:51 PDT

    Sharon,
    Some lessons I did successfully with this age group include:

    Paper Mosaics - I used a pasta machine to make strips of Tru-ray; placed small bags of these strips on each table, and students cut these into small squares; students glued these into outlines (we did trees), incorporating some simple shading; finished by gluing the 5''x7" compositions onto 9"x12" black and making a repeating mosaic border around the edge. These were very striking; they did take time and some patience, although they seemed to have a soothing quality for many kids.

    Triptychs: the kids cut two pieces of corrugated cardboard (approx. 9"x12") into an arch shape and two arch shaped sides (hard to explain!); covered these with paper so they were connected (lay them out on the paper so they have a bit of space between so they will close completely when finished); they drew a medieval scene on the inside, and covered the outside with black paper; they drew medieval motifs on the outside using metalic colored pencils

    Illuminated Names: they draw a large gothic type letter on a square of white paper (about 6"x6"); they draw plant and animal motifs around, through, inside the letter; they outline with permanent black; they color with metalic and regular colored pencils; they write the rest of the letters in their name on a 3" high rectangular strip, cutting off what is not needed, using lowercase gothic letters; they color the lowercase letters with permanent black; they mount the large and lowercase letters on black, trimming excess and making sure the two white pieces touch. These turned out really well, and the kids loved them! I think I did this with 4th graders.

    Hope this helps -
    -Lydia in Toledo

    ---