Re: Measuring~ yes, Leslie...

From: PHimmelber
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 13:11:22 PDT

    Absolutely the place to learn. When you get ready to draw or paint what is
    your first consideration? Size of paper or canvas. Probably one of the first.
    When your colleagues say that they have taught measurement... have they put
    it to practical use? To prepare a matte, to build a sculpture that will fit
    in our kiln, to know how much lumber and sheet goods for a backdrop for
    drama, what size nails to assemble, what size frame, how many will fit on
    that size wall, how much paint to cover that wall? Students must know how to
    use a scale (ruler), compass, protractor and do basic math, just as I do as a
    professional artist. Covering something in class is hardly an assurance that
    students know or care about what was taught. My job is to support and amplify
    the academic curriculum through the arts. Learning takes place when the
    process has meaning for the learner. I cant think of a classroom application
    for measuring skills, but we cant do without them in the studio. Peter

    ---