RE: Measuring

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 10:51:00 PDT

    I understand everyone's frustration with today's students' seeming inability
    to handle simple tasks that most of us take for granted. Skills we think
    somebody else is teaching. I have high school kids that have no clue what
    anything under an inch is. I taught my photo classes for a year before I
    realized they didn't know how to read a thermometer, let alone a measuring
    cup.

    The question becomes, where do these things fit into whose curriculum? In
    defense of the elementary classroom teacher, he/she has become so inundated
    with program initiatives and the abundance of information needed to be
    taught, that certain things just have to fall by the wayside.
    In the scheme of things, in what our young people really need to know today,
    our job in deciding what gets included to teach in our time with them
    becomes so frustrating for me.
    Oh, and then there is all the time we spend teaching life skills that
    parents should be doing.

    BTW Thank goodness that we have cash registers today that tell the operator
    how much change to give back - they sure can't count it in their heads.

    Are we just a bunch of old fogies bemoaning what the kids can't do that we
    can?
    And what can they do that we can't?

    Patty

    ---