Re: Printing grids on images

From: John Antoine Labadie (labadie)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 10:35:05 PDT

    While doing my doctoral research in art education had the privlige
    of also teaching in the same district where my study was
    conducted. Working with the 4th-6th graders there was both most
    informative in areas well outside my study area. One of the things i
    found apalling was that even 5th & 6th grader still had not had any
    significant formal training in measurement or simple tool use. Over
    a three year period i too found myself working ardently to
    incorporate measuring and simple tool usage into my classes. I
    also found collaboration with the math folks helpful and very good
    for colleagiality.

    My learning: take nothing for granted as far as which simple skills
    students may, or may not, have. Look into what they know and find
    out where (in the district curricula) they (might) learn some of the
    skills that are so basic to art classrooms ... measuring, cutting,
    etc.

    JAL

    > Third graders do a great job of measuring borders and I let
    > them play with compasses. Fourth grade is expected to measure 1" and
    > 2" borders accurately and know how to hold a compass to draw a circle
    > with accuracy. In fifth grade we investigate the parts of a circle
    > and make intricate designs measuring with rulers and compasses. All
    > of this is due to my Math Anxiety - helps me and I am determined to
    > have Math Able students in my Art Room. If I can help one student
    > that is uncertain of math become more sure of him/herself I will feel
    > as though I have given them some life skills and they have had fun
    > too. Alot of Math teachers lean on Art to teach their principles.
    > Wish I had had that type of Math teacher. We have drawn grids in
    > fourth and fifth grade but for some it becomes so tedious and the
    > crooked lines have to be redrawn - the low achievers get very
    > frustrated so I help them or let another student help them. Roberta

    ---