Re: Printing grids on images

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 08:32:37 PDT

    Using rulers can begin in kindergarten just with drawing lines and making
    designs
    They love this. first grade we talk about the marks and what they mean and
    those
    that want to actually measure - do measure and those that aren;t ready make
    designs by tracing the ruler and drawing designs. No pressure. My object
    here has been to get them to hold the ruler without wiggling. Bridge the
    fingers over the ruler and draw beside it = works well and they feel so
    "big". Second graders are capable of measuring a 2" border and most often
    they get it right. Third graders do a great job of measuring borders and I
    let them play with compasses. Fourth grade is expected to measure 1" and 2"
    borders accurately and know how to hold a compass to draw a circle with
    accuracy. In fifth grade we investigate the parts of a circle and make
    intricate designs measuring with rulers and compasses. All of this is due to
    my Math Anxiety - helps me and I am determined to have Math Able students in
    my
    Art Room. If I can help one student that is uncertain of math become more
    sure of him/herself I will feel as though I have given them some life skills
    and they have had
    fun too. Alot of Math teachers lean on Art to teach their principles. Wish
    I had had
    that type of Math teacher. We have drawn grids in fourth and fifth grade but
    for some it becomes so tedious and the crooked lines have to be redrawn - the
    low achievers
    get very frustrated so I help them or let another student help them. Roberta

    ---