Re: grids and measuring

From: RAV1960
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 07:47:37 PDT

    I have my students "measure" alot. I start in kindergarten and first grade
    measuring for scale, proportion, etc. with fingers or their pencils. I have
    second and third grade use rulers to measure and draw borders or frames...and
    to measure and draw and cut out their own shapes as well, I even did a 6X6
    grid with third grade and they had to draw the grid. Fourth and fith grade
    use the ruler in my class alot, as well as a protractor and compass. We use
    these tools for everything from drawing the grids to linear perspective
    drawings to lessons on scale, design lessons, etc. Classroom teachers in my
    buildings often shy away from extensive use of the ruler, because so many
    kids can't use them. I think of measuring, using the ruler, using scissors
    (I don't precut ANYTHING), to be basic skills and try to reinforce them early
    and often.

    ---