Re: Printing grids on images

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 03:32:34 PDT

    I do this with my unit on Chuck Close and I show them a video on Close which
    shows he and his assistants laying grids over the 20x24" Polaroid portraits
    and laying the portrait grid on canvas. Having my students enlarging their
    portraits for painting does:
    1: get involved with math (not a bad idea since artists use math all the
    time in various ways)
    2: gets them to think (something most middle schoolers have problems with).

    I don't consider it a waste of time for them to draw the grid and I have no
    way of knowing what it means to their future other than the fact that since
    they are working on self-portraits I had not received any objections from
    them. As a matter of fact their paintings were some of the best work they
    did all year.

    Dennis

    Dennis Golombek
    Lowry Middle School