re: India

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 06:28:37 PDT

    I do a lesson on block printing from India. I have a good friend who
    travels there often and brought me back a wooden block that had been
    used for printing. The Indian designs are structured with a center
    design (smaller), then a small border, a larger border, then another
    small border on the outside. I have my younger kids make printing
    blocks with fun foam glued onto wood blocks or onto pieces of cardboard
    (sealed with acrylic paint). Older kids could use linoleum or erasers
    to carve the blocks. It's a fun unit and we do it on large paper to
    simulate a real Indian blanket or rug. I have an actual piece of fabric
    from there to show, but I'm sure you could find something on the
    internet...

    Also, some very interesting paintings done in India. They do these
    tiny, intricately detailed paintings (can't remember what they are
    called). Older kids might be interested in doing these. I did a search
    on the internet and found lots of sites with great images.

    teri

    ---