Re: Interesting tidbit

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 06:18:52 PDT

    Felsecker wrote:

    > Workmen had built a wooden
    > walkway across the coloseum's "floor" or where the floor of the coloseum
    > originally was. <snip> It was all very intrusive, we all thought, and very
    > controversial. The construction of this temporary stage and walkway were
    > just too "modern" and really disturbed a lot of visitors who felt that a
    > concert (we were told a "rock" concert) should not be held at such a
    > significant and historic sight as this. <snip>

    NPR reported that Sophocles's tragedies were being performed. Only 700
    people were allowed in.

    I don't know what the original floor of the Colosseum was, but it was
    obviously a flexible enough design to stage fights and mock naval
    battles. I think it's wonderful that it's being used again. After the
    fall of Rome the Colosseum was systematically looted for building
    materials for churches and other buildings. The bigger problem now is
    the many lanes of traffic, and the attendant vibrations and pollution,
    that circle the Colosseum. The vibrations have caused more damage in
    modern times than anything else. You were lucky to see it partially
    restored. When I saw it 20 years ago it was tumble-down, littered with
    trash, weeds, and feral cats, and much of it was off-limits to visitors
    because of its condition.

    BTW, after posting the original message, I came across another news item
    that stated there is no evidence Christians were sacrified in the
    Colosseum. I'll see if I can find the reference and post it here.

    Maggie

    ---