Re: Fancy Coat Hangers-portraits

From: MRJWITZ
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 13:00:18 PDT

    I do portraits with my grades k-5 also....
    K- "Funny Me"....I have then "follow me draw"---I draw head shape on
    board..they draw...I draw many diffent eyes...they choose and
    draw...etc.....then we talk about individuality and we decorate them into
    clowns.....draw with black crayons and then paint with water colors....VERY
    CUTE
    1st- We study realism...Rembrandt (read Venezia book) I give them mirrors and
    we do step by step portraits (I give them a head pattern to begin and the
    rest of done freehand) PARENTS ARE SHOCKED ! oH we cut them , mount on black
    (rembrant style) and frame with brown strips...looks very "real".
    2nd- vangogh.......craypas portraits showing "brush strokes" with blending
    craypas
    3rd- Modern Mona's - What would you look like if you posed like Mona Liza
    today...stressed beckground perspective and realism on face and clothing
    details
    4th- Matisse Expressionistic Portraits- "The Inner Me"---using black paper
    and hot pastel chalks..wild colors...wild hair......the real inner selves
    emerge...very interesting!
    5th--figure drawing...full figure portraits then sculptures of themselves in
    action...
    Hope this helps..robin.

    Robin

    ---