Local District control

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 06:53:29 PDT

    "Critics argued that the board's decision to play down evolution in science
    classes made the state look backward; proponents said it lets local school
    districts decide what to teach."

    I ran into the above quote in a news item about the Kansas elections. It
    seems to me that the last statement raises an interesting question,
    especially in these days of universal - and equal - education. Should local
    school districts have the power to decide what to teach?

    Larry

    Lawrence A. Parker
    Philosopher/Educational Consultant
    The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
    http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html
    Truth, Honor and Courage

    ---