Re: Sax/Issues

From: craig roland (rolandc)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 13:49:34 PDT

    >Hi All! I'm leading a discussion on art education issues at our
    >National Sales Meeting next week and need your input. It seems to
    >me that the "hot topics" lately have been:
    > *computer technology
    > *budgets
    > *art assessment & standards
    > *keeping updated with new ideas
    > *resources-censorship, nudity, etc.
    >
    >Do you agree with this list? If there is something I should add or
    >if you think these are not the "hot topics" to include in our
    >discussion, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. All your
    >input is highly valued . Please e mail privately to me . Thanks
    >for any help. Judy Nagel

    Judy,

    Good list of issues here. I would add a few items/questions though:

    1. How does/will art education "fit" into current models of school reform?
    2. What are the pluses and minuses of integrating art into the
    general school curriculum? (i.e., any time we adopt a particular
    model or approach to teaching, we gain something but also lose
    something in the process)

    A third issue which I think has always been with us, but may be even
    more critical now is the question of "What's worth teaching in art?"
    My reason for including this is that with so much content and so many
    possibilities available to us and with so little time available in
    the school day/year, we have to be selective about what we teach in
    art (or any subject for that matter). How do we decide what to teach?

    Craig

    CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
    School of Art and Art History, FAC 302,
    University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
    32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
    http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
    new email address: rolandc

    ---