Re: What are your goals?

From: Batmom44
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 06:38:03 PDT

    In a message dated 8/2/00 9:00:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wduncan
    writes:

    << In a summer in-service day (yesterday) we were urged to go back to teaching
     "values" in our classrooms. The speaker was Lucinda Johnson, from Florida.
     She suggested, simply stated objectives aimed at turning students into
     the sort
     of person each of us would like to live next door to. As a "touchy /
     feely"
     sort of teacher (not hands on) this approach appealed to me. I'm tired
     of writing
     standards and objectives about obscure technical stuff. Our students
     come to us
     with a mixed bag of values, if any at all, and they need clear guidance.
      I'm more
     concerned about turning out thinking, caring, passionate students who
     want to
     learn, that I am students who pass 33 0f 36 questions on some norm
     referenced test.
                Thank You Lucinda, Woody in KC >>

    Why not just do both? That is what we are expected to do here. Teach the
    "technical stuff" and instill values also.
    Reatha

    ---