Re: Multicultural art in the timeline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:23:45 -0400

CRIZMACinc wrote:

> Melissa Chaney wrote:
> > My classroom door is decorated like a time machine.
> Students enter and proceed through time throughout the year. I have a time
> line around my classroom along the ceiling. My bulletin boards change as
> the
> time period changes. My only downfall seems to be multicultural art. I dont
> seem to do enough of that and I haven't been able to figure out where it
> should
> fit in the time line. Sometimes I do it sometimes I don't. >
>
> This was also a problem for me and the other people I taught Art History with
> at our community college. If you present material on a chronological model,
> do you present all of the art of the world, or just European art (which is
> what is most commonly done)?

I guess my question is couldn't you do several timelines which
correlate the time yet will meet at some point (Modern)? YOu could
have 4 different walls covering the world divided by 4. This would
include the cultures throughout the world. Perhaps they all meet on
the ceiling. Or do a tree shape>Time tree AKA family tree. Why not
use footprints and have them be various>animals>people>shoes etc. Be
flexibly yet stay on a goal. Choose to include one culture from one
of the walls a month and in-between stay on your element/lesson
timeline. The same could be said for DBAE- now every class you have
you might not want to use DBAE format> it can be structured or not,
it really depends on what you are doing. Everyone needs a break now
and again and I feel that a more in-depth look at a process or
element is justified. Some people may only use DBAE format once a
month> once in awhile or not at all.Keep in touch. Definitely don't
just eliminate all the other cultures because what has been done
before you is European. Strive to include all shades of culture>
remember to be more in touch with your students and make them aware
of differences in ourselves and them.