RE: Right side of the brain

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rich Stephen J Contr ACC/CEVP (stephen.rich)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:00:12 -0400

Hi Leigh,

Those are good observations Leigh. I'm glad to find other
people interested in this line of research. I challenge the conclusion
of why children recover better from left brain trauma than adults in
similiar situations. I think that may have more do with the remarkable
recoperative ability children have altogether. Children heal from
injury faster, you can revive them from being frozen...as we get older
we start losing the ability to heal.
On the other hand, you can argue that the workings of the brain
is different than a broken arm. In that case I still have input I can
contribute. In one of my lifes (I couldn't settle with being one thing)I'm
a computer scientist who does numerous experiments with Artificial
Intelligence. When I train a 'neural network' to recogize a pattern - like
a face for instance - it is easier for it to compensate for major changes to
the pattern early on in the training then later. If you can picture the
brain like a giant computer that is constantly rewiring itself to make
itself better and more efficent, than the model I make of the brain holds
true. A child's brain is less set (the mold isn't dry) - the other side of
the brain is still able to compensate and learn new functions if injury
occurs to its partner half.

P.S. - Leigh, is linguistics another word for 'semiotics'/science of the
sign/signifier|signified? If so, do you know the names of the founding
members of that research?