Re: working drawings

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:26:12 -0400

Betty Bowen wrote:

> Do any of you who have web pages include any preliminary or working sketches
> of artworks shown?> I'm searching for sites that show the working / thinking process of >makingart.My own working drawings tend to be very tiny. Because I do woodcuts, I need
> to see them in reverse, so I often do sketches on notepaper scraps on top of
> an inkpad. That way I can see what it looks like. It's like
> mini-printmaking.
>
> Betty

This is ironic- when my husband was working on my page I wanted to
include unfinished painting and drawings. Drawings of paintings
which changed and other materials included. He has a thing with a
finished product> I guess the old design student and present digital
effects artist has a way of seeing a product as done. I on the other
hand see the process and in so doing it helps to figure out other
ways of turning or working on it. There are not any unfinished
pieces on the web page- however I am going to have him put some on
when I'm through with school in the next two weeks. To me there are
a few paintings which true are not complete as one would visualize a
finished piece- but yet I feel it is finished for me. I have come to
a stop position and must have gotten out of it what I wanted> it
must speak to me and some just stop talking. Also since I'm visual I
can remember specific conversations or events which correlate to a
part of a piece or a color or a brush/pen mark. Like a playback of
an event or a De Ja Vue (SP). Funny to see your life as an album in
your work without seeing a photo. I too also use scraps of what I
might find. sometimes old artist's (Miro-Bird) obituaries have been
collaged into some paintings and drawings.
There was a time in NY when I'd rip off old posters and paper from
walls and draw on those. Only wished I would have asked Keith Haring
for more posters at a gallery instead of the 5 I got> My god the
mound of posters were probably 4' tall-24"x36" and yes I actually
painted on a few of the ones I got> well who could of known! Oh
well, I try to buy pads but it's so hard to be focused on a clean
well bound book!
Sandra

--
john barrick