Fwd: Re: Censoring Images

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Virginia Jones (vandaj)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:30:44 -1000

I believe you are missing the point. No one is saying that art/art classes
etc. are not worthy. (knock on wood, my daughter is a psychologically
"healthy" teen (hmmmmmm.... oxymoron?..... who is a budding artist, and i
pay thousands of dollars per year to foster her dream in a fabulous art
certificate program in one of Honolulu's finest private schools)

But to dismiss a child's plea for help as you summarily dismiss the call as
"trite" is disturbing. All of you (our children's teachers) are seeing our
children day in and day out. You have the opportunity and a "duty" to try
to foster good behaviors, and not penalize that which is not "perfect".
Don't have such high expectations of the parents..............
dysfunctional behavior is often modelled after behaviors seen in the home
environment. Some of these parents are, unfortunately, not good role
models. You should be. Please don't turn away, at least notify the
counsellor that you are "troubled" by the artwork's disturbing
theme/negativity/ or even just because it gives you a "chill". Follow your
gut instinct. You may save a child's life. or at the very least, lessen our
case loads in Adult Mental Health............. Thanks, V

> At 06:14 PM 4/25/99 , you wrote:
>>I am an art teacher. I am not trained to be an art therapist. There are
>>28 students in my classroom at a time. The work they do is involved in
>>class critiques and is shown in the school and community. It is, therefore,
>>not just personal expression, but shared visual statement. I monitor what
>>is produced and will continue to do so. Their work may not have the
>>intention of being denigrating or disruptive. It may be provocative, but
>>not intentionaly hurtful. I am an adult and the teacher. My high school
>>students are children. It is my responsibility as a professional to see
>>that the products of my classroom enrich both the community and the student
>>artists. Futhermore, it is part of my professional responsibility to
>>foster the growth of maturity in my students. There are those who produce
>>blood and gore, roses with crosses, cross bones, and such. They either
>>learn to identify and cease to do trite subject matter instead of putting
>>thought into the projects or they fail and no longer progress in the art
>>sequence.
>>
>>It is not my job to be searching for emotional problems or solving
>>society's short comings. It is my job to facilitate the production of art
>>and to present the history of art and help my students understand the
>>cultural relevance of those artworks studied. There is an established set
>>of rules for behavior and methods of handling infringements which I follow.
>> There is an established sequence of referals for students with
>>developmental, educational, and emotional problems. There are trained
>>professional who were hired to handle these situations.
>>
>>We are responsible for teaching art. We are not therapists for troubled
>>and potentially violent students. What we do is of worth. We have enough

>>"on our plates" and none of should feel guilty or responsible for aberant
>>behavior in our schools or society. Let's set an example of doing a good
>>job of what we do. It touches lives and stretches minds. We are doing our
>>part.

Virginia