Re: Censoring Children's Images

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:20:20 -0400

I abhore censorship of any kind, however a certain responsibility exists for
many "behaviors" in our culture. There is an appropriate time and a place.
When the art supplies are provided by tax dollars, I've been told that art
content should reflect community values (which are very liberal where I am.)
If a student must express him/herself by glorifying recreational drug use,
blood and guts murder and violence, or showing explicit sexual activity I
encourage the student to create these images at home, share them with
parents, and to bring them in to show me for assessment. I never tell a
student s/he can't make an image; I tell them to make it at a more
appropriate place. I explain this to my students, and they say it makes
sense, and it's never been an issue with my classes. I also tell them that
if they show me an image that I find disturbing, that I may share it with
their guidance counselor.

Ginny Rockwood
Brattleboro Area Middle School
Brattleboro, VT