Re: Censoring Children's Images

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:49:08 -0400

Thank you Joy and all --
I have been so grateful for all the thoughts on this list about violence,
censorship, and our general reactions to Littleton. I have been one of the
teachers who tells my K-5 kids that "artists create, they do not destroy"
when asking them to leave out gross or violent stuff. I definitely agree
that I have been asking them to mask their feelings -- in the wake of the
recent tragedy, I feel like I should be doing more to help kids to open up
and express their feelings. I just feel so uncomfortable with the prospect
of a tableful little boys all drawing violent and gross stuff, feeding off
each other and trying to draw something even grosser or bloodier. Is my
imagination running away with me or might this happen? And even if I
discuss the images with the children, will the fact that I allow pictures
like that seem like tacit approval or encouragement? I'm just not sure if
a child younger than 9 or 10 years old can really understand why the
concept is important to understand.... I would appreciate seeing more
discussion on this topic.
Liz in rural NY

> From: joym <joym>
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Censoring Children's Images
> Date: Saturday, April 24, 1999 4:08 PM
>
> Well, folks, here's the rub: You can censor the images that you consider
> "unacceptable" and allow only the "acceptable" ones. You'll be successful
> in getting compliant children who draw only what you deem appropriate.
You