Re: Censoring Children's Images

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KP RS (KPRS)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 17:51:39 -0400

The only censoring I do on the high school level is this: I tell them that it
can't be drug or sex related. I tell them that we are here at the taxpayer's
expense, and they have the power to pull the plug on electives. I tell them
that they have so many other things that they can express themselves about.

BUT, as most of you have heard my mantra before, I ALWAYS make them (and it's
about one of the only things I am that anal about) do a thesis statement BEFORE
they make their art, stand up and declare it publically, and tell us all how
they intend to show that in their art. They must present thumbnails and explain
them to the class. It promotes discussion, aesthetic criticism, power in art
making and wonder as to how many ways a human can try to express an idea.

San D