Re: keeping an eye on a student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:41:27 -0400

Kathy,
This is why I don't use the word-"NO". I think through redirection
you are not imposing your will on someone else's work. Believe me
that was another discussion but again I would never draw on someone
else's picture. I think by setting all the negative responses you
encourage it. This is why I said a policy of non violence as opposed
to NO GUNS,NO KNIVES etc. I think through redirection> meaning you
give them the tools to make their own choice and follow through with
their own outcome, you are helping them. You are also helping them
with other problems in their other classes. When they experience and
explore cause and effect and when they are able to make choices to
solve their own problems you are encouraging then to reason and
problem solve. Say there was a picture of a gun in a drawing and
many of us work with kids who live in environments where family and
friends have weapons. They live with them everyday, therefore it is
part of their culture.
So you see the drawing> how is it depicted> is it a weapon? Is it
for hunting? In redirection you would ask what other ways could they
see the scene and how could they change the scene.I don't want to
reiterate what my previous post said. I do want to say that I don't
condemn them from drawing these objects. Being part Mexican my
culture does not have the same fear of the depiction of death that
America has. I do celebrate the day of the dead> which I'm not
allowed to at school. I also have two sons and as boys they do have
weapons in their drawings. However it has always been depicted as
good vs. evil. I think naturally by letting the kids find their own
way out then they won't feel the need to only draw "Violent scenes".
Besides I find it really hasn't come up in my classes because we are
always experimenting with processes or focusing on a lesson> this
seems to occur in free drawing and how can you control that if it is
free drawing?
Sandra
astroboy