Re: keeping an eye on a student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KATHY K (KATHALEEN_KERN)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:52:26 -0700

Lisa,
I believe that we as art teachers must allow the student to express
himself/herself for many different reasons. One being that we may actually
be able to get help for the student before its too late. Sometimes students
are just trying to impress the other students, but even that would be cause
for alert. If art teachers censor too much, then as professionals we cut
off what the student is really going through. In view of what has gone on
with CO., I would rather know than not know. Yet, I would not allow the
violent scenes, drug symbols, gang symbols, etc... to go on for long before
having communication with student, parent, supervisors, etc.. Kathy, art
teacher/ art therapist in WI.

> From: The Cheevers <lazydog>
> To: astroboy; MPBC90; artsednet list serve
<artsednet.edu>