Fwd: Speakers on Violence Prevention

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sages7
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:01:38 EDT

--part1_adb15872.245336d2_boundary

I thought I might share this with you all. It was sent to me by another
listserv I participate with.

Heather from GA

--part1_adb15872.245336d2_boundary

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:26:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: Members of the List <mcpavilion>
From: Speak Out <speakout>
Subject: Speakers on Violence Prevention

Dear Friends,
We are horrified by the recent events in Littleton, Colorado. As
our nation grapples with questions about youth and violence, expert after
expert parades across our t.v. screens, trying to make sense of the mass
shootings taking place in schools across this nation, in communities where
citizens thought "it can't happen here." Young white men are committing
these killings in a society that must come to grips with the root causes of
violence if the carnage is to cease.
To this end, Speak Out offers these four speakers who we believe
can make a significant contribution to our understanding of why this is
happening and what must be done to stop the violence. If you would like
more detailed information as well as details on costs and scheduling,
please contact our office.
Regards,
Felicia Gustin

Paul Kivel is violence prevention trainer and co-founder of the Oakland
Men's Project, a nationally- recognized multicultural organization
dedicated to helping people understand the roots of violence in our society
and its effect on young people. Through his lectures, workshops, trainings
and writings, Kivel works to end male violence and build alliances across
lines of race, gender, class, sexual orientation and age. He is co-author
of "Making the Peace: A Violence Prevention Curriculum," "Helping Teens
Stop Violence," "Young Men's Work: Building Skills to Stop the Violence"
and he is author of "Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial
Justice."

Victor Lewis is founder and Director of the Center for Diversity
Leadership. He is best known for his inspiring and catalytic leadership
role in the film "The Color of Fear" and with Hugh Vasquez (see below) he
has developed a program and curriculum entitled "Beyond the Color of Fear."
Lewis speaks extensively nationwide, working to unify communities in the
face of racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia and violence. He's a
member of the leadership council of the National Organzation for Men
Against Sexism and is on the Black Church Task Force of the Center for the
Prevention of Sexual and Domestic Violence.

Hugh Vasquez is co-founder and Director of TODOS: Sherover Simms Alliance
Building Institute. He is a national consultant working to create healthy
multicultural alliances and to prevent violence. He is co-founder of the
youth program New Bridges and was lead facilitator in a workshop
highlighted in the film about race relations among college students, "Skin
Deep." He was a cast member in the documentary on racism "The Color of
Fear" and with Victor Lewis (above) has developed a program and curriculum
entitled "Beyond the Color of Fear."

Tim Wise is a leading young social critic and activist. He has spoken to
over 60,000 people in forty states: defending racial equity, combating
intolerance, and encouraging young people to get involved in improving
their communities. Wise writes and speaks extensively about the problem of
"racial scapegoating," which causes citizens to blame social problems like
crime and violence on people of color and the poor, thereby overlooking the
larger culture of violence and intolerance that contributes to tragedies
like that in Littleton, CO. In his presentation, Wise discusses the links
between violence, the media, political and economic policy, and failures in
the educational system.

For more information, and details on costs and scheduling, please contact
Speak Out.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Speak Out is the country's only national not-for-profit artists and
speakers agency. Our roster includes some 200 women and men who represent
the breadth of movements for social justice as well as important exhibits
and films which address contemporary issues. For a full listing, send us
your full mailing address.

Speak Out Phone: (510) 601-0182
PO Box 99096 Fax: (510) 601-0183
Emeryville, Ca 94662 Email: speakout