blood and knives

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MPBC90
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:32:49 EDT

>>While reading about the little boy and his drawings about blood and
>knives
>>and squished people, I'm remembering my standing rule about artwork
>in my
>>elementary classes. No blood, knives, guns, or guts. The kids all
>know it
>>and they gleefully tell each new student who arrives. If I didn't
>have that
>>rule, I couldn't hang much on the walls because they would be bloody
>and
>>awful (you know how little boys are). I tell the kids it's my rule
>because I
>>don't like them and don't want to be ill from looking at pictures
>like that.

Salvador Wilcox" <salvador_wilcox>
Subject: Re: Blood and knives
your last question merits discussion. we
seem intent on finding "warning signs" but we turn around obliterate
any chance that those signs would be evident in the art work. we seem
to outlaw so easily. that's the easiest thing to do but it is the
most detrimental. we outlaw the things we find most difficult to talk
about. that's when they become problems. why don't we just learn to
talk about these things. by not having credible discussions ("I don't
like them and don't want to be ill from looking at pictures
like that" does not give the child a chance for a credible
discussion), we let other shady avenues of discovery be the providers
of truth. isn't it better that they discuss information with us first
and not people in chat rooms?

salvador wilcox in only-53-nice-days-a-year-pittsburgh

Dear Salvador,
I received quite a few responses to my worried question about the student
with the squished foil man and other references to death. I am sad to note
here that almost half of the responses were suggestions to make "rules"
regarding content in art. I do not teach this way. There are enough lessons
with frogs, dinosaurs, bugs and the like, that when my older (meaning 4th,
5th and 6th! :) ) kids are given certain freedoms, (which I believe is
important at this level in Life AND Art class), I am not going to bring out
my laminated poster with No Blood, Guts or Guns! I DID say "no aliens"
during the foil men, but it was a HUMAN FIGURE unit, for goodness sake!
Seriously, though, we must use some caution with ourselves and our positions.
Dead bodies from the morgues were used for figure drawing study in history.
There are many famous historical artworks include bloody battle scenes. What
if their mentors, comrades, peers or Teachers were "sickened" by their work
and disallowed it?

Still thinking here, in NY...with-a-few-more-nice-days-per-year-than-Pitts,
where I used to reside.

mp in NY