Re: keeping an eye on a student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:05:01 -0400

MPBC90 wrote:

> He seems a nice 4th grade boy. Very large (overweight, really, but bulky),
> relatively polite (no profanity or disrespectful phrases to me or other
> students that I have noticed) but his preoccupation with some morbid scenes
> is worth noting, right? For example, his Foil Man was a squished figure on a
> drawn road, entitled "Man Run Over." It kind of made me grin, for it was a
> first, and I just thought he was compensating for his lack of sculpting
> ability! Then, his plaster figure was a man with a gun, leaning on it. A
> recent sketch had a huge knife in the chest of a human figure with blood
> dripping down. His perspective sketch(es) had a ghost-town-like look with
> something like an old shoot-out occurring. Hmmmm. In light of this recent
> tragedy, I do not know where to go now. This is also a rather suburban,
> middle class/upperclass neighborhood, and a parochial school! Any
> suggestions?
> mp in NY

It proves it can happen in all environments and all socioeconomic
ones as well. How about redirection. It's great if he can find
someone to talk with and express his feelings such as a counselor or
mediator- but how to redirect in your classroom. In art I would
suggest
making it a policy -artwork without violence. Meaning they have to
figure out a way to solve the problem or express their feelings
without weapons- guns, knives, bombs, etc. It's not as though he is
going through art therapy- yes it is therapeutic but I'm referring
to a regular art class. When he shows a sketch with a knife plunged
into his chest- discuss the art work. Ask him how he's feeling and
how the picture feels to him, maybe input from others but not
criticism of him- more as an open discussion. Try to get him to find
another way to express a different feeling in place of the knife-
ask what other objects he can find in place of a weapon. Have the
students use lighter colors. Pale
off-white, lighter hues.If he feels sad and needs to express that
then there is a need for it, but try to redirect to a less
violent/aggressive scene with questions like-What if you added *?
What if it was Spring? How could you change the scene to show hope
or happiness?
Best thing to do would just communicate with him- perhaps he doesn't
have people asking him how he's doing, how he is? What he like's-
etc.
Hope this helps,
Sandra Barrick
astroboy