RE: Helping our students deal with the Tragedy in CO

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:56:19 -0400

After seeing adolescents through the suicides, accidents, and two incidents
of guns and a bomb in school, I think that getting them all together in a
big group is a mistake. Teenage kids tend to catastrophize things and feed
off each other emotionally-kind of a mob psychology kind of thing. I believe
it would be better to deal with them in small groups or within a class of
kids they know and are comfortable with than in a whole big assembly. At my
school we are "watchfully waiting" and keeping an eye on those kids we think
will be most affected. Many of our students were seen reading the front
pages yesterday, but I didn't hear much talk about it. When I did in class,
I talked to them a bit, but they didn't seem to want to get into it much. I
think the best ideas I've heard are the ones in which art will be used to
express their feelings and sympathies. Good luck. Linda in NC