Re: Helping our students deal with the Tragedy in CO

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
RWilk85411
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 06:04:56 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/99 8:12:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwhite writes:

<< am.hunter wrote:

> Our administration is hoping to
> put together (by Friday) some sort of assembly to address the shootings in
> Colorado. The
> administration has asked for our input and frankly, I am not sure how to
> approach this delicate issue. Any suggestions? I would like any feed
back,
> opinions and/or info about what your school is doing.

Ann Marie,

My main thoughts about this horrific event center on how many of these
students who kill have been teased, harassed, or just plain dissed by
their schoolmates. There are probably a number of teachers who have
witnessed these acts of unkindness and dismissed them as par for
the course, just a part of growing up, being in HS, etc. These kids
killed for revenge, to get respect, to get attention.

I think the schools need to take a firm stand against harassment or even
teasing. No student deserves it, and while violence is certainly not the
way to deal with it, our students need to somehow be taught that all
their peers deserve respect, including the geeks and misfits.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well; it's all so emotional a topic.
Let us know what your school decides.

Maggie

I think you explained it well. And what is worse is that there are frequently
teachers who perform their own acts of unkindness against these students. I
think you have made a really good point. Yes, teasing and harassing are
normal behaviors for children and young adults. BUT The normal behavior of
the corresponding adults is supposed to be teaching them that that behavior
is unacceptable. They will not learn it any other way. We all know high
school bullies who grew up to be adult bullies because no one dealt with
their behavior when they were children. WE THE ADULTS MUST DEAL WITH THE
BEHAVIOR. IT IS OUR JOB TO HELP THEM LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND
WRONG. THEY WILL NOT JUST WAKE UP ONE DAY AND KNOW WHAT TO DO. We can turn
our backs, if we want. But we could be turning our backs to the barrel of a
gun.