Re: Helping our students deal with the Tragedy in CO

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (cschille.us)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Maggie White wrote:
> I think the schools need to take a firm stand against harassment or even
> teasing. No student deserves it, and while violence is certainly not the
> way to deal with it, our students need to somehow be taught that all
> their peers deserve respect, including the geeks and misfits.

I can't help but worry about students who dislike a teacher, not because
of teasing or harassment, but because the student didn't earn a good
grade. I myself can think of a few students who have been *very*
unpleasant about their grades in my class, and you have to work really
hard to do badly in most of my classes. I treat them with respect but
that doesn't mean they will always be mature enough to acknowledge that
they earned their poor grade.
To me, the problem has to do with students who for some reason do not
have the normal moral/ethical/societal code within them that says you
don't shoot people that you are angry with. No matter how wonderful a
person is, there's always going to be some situation or comment that can
be interpreted as disrespectful - that's human nature. I don't think the
teasing is the problem.
I find this not only very sad but extremely terrifying.
==Carla