Re: Shooting in Colorado

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:07:40 -0400

Hi Jonathan --
I've heard of a program called "Character Counts". It's a national program
-- basically (from what I understand) there are six pillars of character
(each a concept like responsibility, etc.). A school can emphasize one
concept a month, for example, and have activities, assemblies and lessons
showing how we can practice and learn that character trait. There is a web
site, I believe. There may be more programs like it out there -- I
definitely agree that we should be able to do something. Especially as an
elementary teacher I see all the students in my school, and feel I can
reach them year after year. But, exactly how? Of course we all teach good
manners and good school citizenship along with our art expectations. But
how I wish there were a way to get every child to really understand the
value of being human and to treat others well. It's so frightening to
think that perhaps one or more of my students will grow up to commit
atrocities.
Liz in rural NY
----------
> From: Jonathan Brooks <jonathan.brooks>
> To: 'Salvador Wilcox' <salvador_wilcox>; BluesTruth;
artsednet.edu
> Subject: RE: Shooting in Colorado
> Date: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 2:29 PM
>
> It seems to me that since hate is being taught all over the world, we
should
> be teaching benevolence, kindness, generosity, tolerance, unselfishness,
> -or- what every word you use for anti-hate.
>
> These classes should be part of the curriculum at the earliest grade
levels.

> I have searched for such programs, but have yet to find any school
district
> that teaches a specific course on this topic.
>
> In fact, I spoke to a Ph.D. from the UCLA psychology department. She
often
> wonders why classes like the Psychology of Hate or the Psychology of
Lying

http://www.msn.com