Re: Helping our students deal with the Tragedy in CO

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:26:45 -0700

am.hunter wrote:

> Our adminstration is hoping to
> put together (by Friday) some sort of assembly to address the shootings in
> Colorado. The
> adminstration has asked for our input and frankly, I am not sure how to
> approach this delicate issue. Any suggestions? I would like any feed back,
> opinions and/or info about what your school is doing.

Ann Marie,

My main thoughts about this horrific event center on how many of these
students who kill have been teased, harassed, or just plain dissed by
their schoolmates. There are probably a number of teachers who have
witnessed these acts of unkindness and dismissed them as par for
the course, just a part of growing up, being in HS, etc. These kids
killed for revenge, to get respect, to get attention.

I think the schools need to take a firm stand against harassment or even
teasing. No student deserves it, and while violence is certainly not the
way to deal with it, our students need to somehow be taught that all
their peers deserve respect, including the geeks and misfits.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well; it's all so emotional a topic.
Let us know what your school decides.

Maggie