RE: Shooting in Colorado

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jonathan Brooks (jonathan.brooks)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:29:11 -0700

It seems to me that since hate is being taught all over the world, we should
be teaching benevolence, kindness, generosity, tolerance, unselfishness,
-or- what every word you use for anti-hate.

These classes should be part of the curriculum at the earliest grade levels.

I have searched for such programs, but have yet to find any school district
that teaches a specific course on this topic.

In fact, I spoke to a Ph.D. from the UCLA psychology department. She often
wonders why classes like the Psychology of Hate or the Psychology of Lying
have never been developed at the university level.

Does anyone know of a school district which teaches classes in anti-hate?

-----Original Message-----
From: Salvador Wilcox [salvador_wilcox]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 11:02 AM
To: BluesTruth; artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Shooting in Colorado

Marc,

I understand your sentiment and like you don't know what went wrong.
however, it isn't the second part of your dichotomy, as you put it
"something deeper, a deeper disturbance in our collective
social conscience." We must remember that more than 99% of the
students don't do this. so there's no reason to question our
"collective social conscience." also, the "violent tide" you talk
about is actually statistically on its way down. that does not take
away from your point that we need to do better. but "violent tide"
seems to me more political verbiage. and also, maybe we should defer
the psychoanalysis of the parents until more information comes out.
certainly there are situations which noone can forsee, until it
happens of course. i'm sure some nuts are going to blame marylin
manson for all it. i suppose there's money to be made.

salvador wilcox in pittsburgh, pa

>From: MCALLANILO
>To: BluesTruth, artsednet.edu
>Subject: Re: Shooting in Colorado
>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:31:23 EDT
>
>Has anyone noticed that this stuff never seems to happen in the
"inner city"
>schools (the oft-called "combat zone" of public education) but in
small rural
>or suburban communities?
>
>Columbine High School is, according to CNN, a "state of the art"
facility,
>presumably in a well-funded school district.
>
>I just saw the photos of the kids who did this on MSNBC. They looked
like
>average, American straight-A kids. What went wrong here? Was it
perhaps
>some identification with another pair of clean cut American boys who
went
>astray--Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols? MSNBC just indicated that the
>shooting occurred on the anniversary of the bombin of the Federal
Building.

>Or is it something deeper, a deeper disturbance in our collective
social
>conscience. A few years ago, here in Indianapolis, two students at
one of
>the state's biggest and most prestigious public high schools
axe-murdered a
>Presbyterian minister and his wife. What went wrong?
>
>Blues, you question, "where are the parents?" drives right towards
the heart
>of this, I believe. How could they NOT notice what was going on?
>Unfortunately, there is no competency test one has to pass before
becoming a
>parent. Unfortunately, love is not a pre-requisite of parenthood.
>Unfortunately, even when that love is there, it does not always take
the form
>of involvement in the child's life.
>
>So that brings the subject around to us--teachers. My father (a
teacher for
>40 years) has been, from time to time, uncomfortable with the notion
that
>public educations are expected, more and more, to be surrogate
"parents". I
>can't see how, in any time or place, it could be any different. I do
believe
>it "takes a village" to raise a child, and we are a part of that
village.

>At once I ask myself, "My God, why didn't the parents see this?"
Then I have
>to ask, "Why didn't ANYONE see this coming?" We live in a world that
is so
>individualistic, so driven by, "I'll take care of my own and let
others deal
>with their own shit" (Sorry if that offends) that we fail to see
where our
>brothers and sisters need help. We compartmentalize our lives and
say so
>often, "Well, that's not my responsibility . . . ."
>
>Blues, I' like you on this. I do not know what the answer is, what
exactly
>went wrong. I have to believe, though, that by building strong
communities,
>in our schools and throughout our country, we stand the best chance
of
>steming this violent tide.
>
>I think that as art teachers, we see a very different side of
"problem"
>students. I know I do. Let's use this special place art occupies in
the
>public schools along with all of our creative energy, to build safe,
>creative, nurturing, peaceful learning communities.
>
>Sorry for the length of this post.
>
>Thanks for reading,
>
>Marc
>Indianapolis

  • Reply: KtownLady: "Re: RE: Shooting in Colorado"