Re: Mother's Day Portraits

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Artemis420
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 02:04:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/99 5:11:53 PM EST, maryann writes:

<< Here's an easy idea I shared with another loop I'm on. They're all
talking about Mother's Day right now, which made me think it might be of
interest to those of you working with kids of any age (even
highschool!). I know as a mother I would LOVE to receive a portrait drawn
or painted by my child.

>Hi all
>been working on my Mothers Day projects >>

I have a project based on Picasso's 'Mother and Child'
First graders do it quite well.
Pastels and brown markers and white paper.[I get 4 boxes of good pastels with
flesh tones].
They draw 2 ovals around their hands in the upper section of 12x18 paper. I
teach placement of features. We add necks and arms. The arms should appear to
reach out to the other. I sort of talk them through it.
Then we rub pastel on to the areas, choosing flesh colors for the faces and
arms, and etc.
It really doesn't matter if the pastel escapes the drawn shapes.
Then we redraw the shapes with a thin brown marker.
It is amazing how many of them resemble the family members!
If you would like a more detailed plan, let me know.
Artie