Re: Using others for profit

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna Delafield (mdelafield@cfu-cybernet.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:54:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Maahmaah <Maahmaah>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: Using others for profit

>In a message dated 4/19/99 10:34:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
>gregjuli writes:
>
><< Gee, I was just thinking the same thing. Kinda of like ,some one here
for
>an
> ulterior motive, that seems intrusive. Consider why most of us are on the
> listserve--- and it sure isn't for money. >>
>
>Well, I have to say something here. We know MaryAnn writes books. I have
>read a few of them. If someone is so naive as to think that she is asking
>for these ideas just for some sort of hobby and will not be using them for
>her book, hey! Wake up! Of course she is compiling them for publication.
>don't see anything wrong with that. And I don't think she has been
>blind-siding anyone. It's not required that you send her your ideas. And
>any one of us, with our experiences and talents, could write books like
hers
>and "make tons of money". But she is the one going out there and actually
>doing it. Good for her! I don't find her posts and requests obtrusive.
>Especially since she compiles the info for us all to read after she gets
it.
>I rather enjoy her ideas and have found one or two I will be using in a
class
>I'm teaching in a couple weeks. Her books reach a bunch of people who may
>have no other connection to art professionals. I for one would like to see
>her books filled with interesting ideas that motivate young kids and adults
>to experience different art materials in a variety of ways. Don't
>experiences like that for children make all our jobs easier? And last, but
>not least, most of us are on this list (albeit in a roundabout way) for
>money. I get paid for the work I do, don't you? The ideas and
conversation
>on this list motivate me and help me do better work. (Which, in my case,
get
>me more freelance teaching jobs.) I think MaryAnn is doing more good than
>harm to us all. I am not sure what the gripe is all about.
>
>Take care to all,
>-Lee
>(who "steals" great ideas daily from a multitude of sources to help promote
>the arts in my world.)

amen, me too!!! Come on.....Every time I "take" an idea out of a book,
which I've "borrowed from the library" Am I stealing? I'm sorry for those
of you who feel that this list is only for teachers. Are all these little
secrets that we must keep for ourselves so that art remains mysterious. I,
for one wish that more kids would learn to love to do art at home, and at
school and anywhere else that they have an opportunity to create. We are
all richer for sharing. I have always been so pleased with the attitude of
most art teachers who are willing to share their time, and expertise with
others. It makes me sad to think that this is not the attitude of all of
us. I have been helped by so many people, throughout a long career. I have
also tried to share. Its one of the choices I made about my life. It is a
concious choice. I hope this attitude of helpfullness can continue, for
anyone who wants to use this as a resource. That includes writers,
bussiness people, parents, teachers etc. etc. Marianna