Re: patterns, neckties

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:55:05 -0500

Lyden1819 wrote:

> A very successful pattern idea involves students[ third grade for me]
> designing their own neckties....then use "12x18" paper to draw the
>front of a dress shirt... and glue the tie on
Ceil Pa.

This reminds me of a fun lesson I did with 2nd graders a few years ago.
We looked at the Magritte work I dubbed "Raining Bussinessmen" (can't
remember what Magritte called it right now) which has lots of various
sized Englishmen in suits and derby hats "raining" out of a blue sky
onto a city skyline (I think!). So each of the kids made a 12x18 paper
businessman/woman with black suit, derby hat, and unique TIE! using that
old standby man-in-the-suit recipe. We covered a big wall with blue roll
paper, cut/glued tops of buildings along the bottom edgee, and stuck our
raining businessmen, Magritte-like, all over. Some of the kids who had
finished early made a second one 9x12 or 6x9 so we had some variety in
sizes of men too.
It was a big hit that the now 5th graders still remember.