Re: Rainforest, sub plans

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:34:06 -0500

cshanley wrote:

> I am entering a "portable rainforest"
Good luck in the ajudication, Chris!

>..... My only problem is I need a sub this Friday classes
> range from 1-8th grades, and I'm the worst at leaving good plans.
> Any help from anyone of you would be so appreciated!!!

Sub plans for art...nightmare time! It takes so long to s-p-e-l-l o-u-t
art plans for subs when you don't know what they know about art. I
compiled a "Substitute Information" binder a few years ago which has
saved me many a late night of concern. It has two sections. The first
one is general information about the schedule, a map of the room with
locations marked for things that might be needed, art room routines,
expectations, rewards, consequences, where to lock up your purse, etc.
It also states that, if a substitute feels uncomfortable about
instructions I have left for ongoing projects, or if there are no sub
plans, they are welcome to choose activities from the binder instead.

The second section of the book contains copies of easy but tried and
true 1-day projects/activities that require only basic supplies like
crayons or markers, scissors, glue, paper, and imagination. These are
arranged by grade level K-6 with tabs, an index, and a running list of
which classes have done which projects that year.

In the back I keep a folder with teacher examples of some of the
projects that I or subs have done with the kids.

My subs all seem to have success with this system and I never have to go
crazy at the last minute trying to get plans together.
Linda in Michigan