Re: Advanced Placement Art History

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:06:52 -0400

cynthia moneta copperthite wrote:

> I am in desperate need, for my sanity and the students', to present
> advanced placement art history in a non-traditional format that will still
> allow us to cover the content and prepare for the national exam.
>
> I can no longer teach via lecture even though that has always seemed the
> best way to cover the content. I want to use Bigger Ideas/concepts and
> essentail questions. Has anyone tried this or an alternate way to teach
> advanced placement art history with any success? I'll be glad to share my
> ideas with someone who is interested and willing to brainstorm this idea.
>
> thanks
> cindy

I have never tried this, but I'm planning to in the near future and it
seems like it could be an interesting way to approach the subject
matter. How about having your students pick an artist and have them
actually become that artist. They would have to study the time period
when they lived, explain their artwork (both the formal elements and
maybe some intent), and things to that effect. There would be oral
presentations given by the students. Also the students could break into
groups based on the diffrent artistic movements. You could have three
students representing Pollack, De Kooning, and Frankenthaler who are all
artists from the abstract expressionist time period.

If you do try this please let me know how it goes.

Ricki