Re: Teachers in small, rural communities

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michelle H. Harrell (mmhar)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:20:05 PDT

Marseille, I am unclear about what you need information on. Is the
presentation you are giving to the children or for a college class?
Are you the teacher at the school you are describing? Are you looking
for lesson plans or are you doing research on the situation? Does the
school have internet access?

It sounds like these students (as all do) need a helping dose of
multicultural medicine. There's been a lot of discussion about
multicultural units and lessons here on the list. Did you see that
great multicultural web-site Sandra posted earlier this week? There is
a bulletin board (or listserv or something) to post messages where you
can get some feedback from that resource too. (By the way, thanks
Sandra for the great multicultural sites you always send!) Here's the
address: http://curry.edschool.Virginia.EDU/go/multicultural/

Michelle Harrell

>From: Moon93057
>To: artsednet.edu
>Subject: Teachers in small, rural communities, please respond.
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:04:14 EDT
>
>Please take a look at the scenario I was assigned and let me know if
you have
>any helpful information. Thanks, Marseille
>
>Please help me. I am giving a presentation on the following scenario
>w/lesson plans on Thursday, April 15:
>
>Rural School. This is the only high school in a town of about
15,000. The
>town is a mono-culture. Everyone is white and most are of the same
>non-mainstream religious group (I selected Mormon out of the three
offered).
>These are good, conscientious, hardworking students. Few behavior
problems
>occur. Few of the students stay in the town. You have become
concerned that
>the narrowness of the art students' cultural awareness will be a
stumbling
>block as they "go out into the world." You have decided to change
your
>predominantly western curriculum to an inclusive one. You teach
Ceramics.