Re: In need of creative solutions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Elizabeth Stroud (stroud0718)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:26:35 -0400

Our art program is also without a home. I began teaching K-12 art at a school Jan.
'98 with no previous art program. I began by storing items at home and bringing them
to school each day. What a huge improvement when the school installed storage shelves
in the teacher workroom! They are higher than anyone else wants to use, and I have to
stand on a chair to get to them, but they are better than nothing. I move from
classroom to classroom carrying the supplies needed for that lesson. In the morning,
I just prepare everything so that I can run back and forth to pick things up.
Needless to say, I do alot of running back and forth.

This sounds crazy, but it has worked because I wanted to make it work so badly. I
received a local arts council grant this year and with it began a visiting artist's
program. I invited a sculptor, a painter, and a potter. We adapted studio lessons to
follow-up such a using air-dry clay since we have no kiln. Let me know if you want to
know more. I just wanted to offer some encouragement that it can be done and done
very well. The school is planning to expand and build an art room in the future, but
until then I'll continue my juggling act enjoying every minute of it!