RE: mainstreaming special ed into art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
evans (sammel)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:30:47 -0500

- the situation can be a bit overwhelming, but it is solvable. good luck,
sandra
----------
From: Fields, Linda[SMTP:fieldsl.us]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 9:34 AM
To: 'scurfield'
Cc: 'artsednet.edu'
Subject: RE: mainstreaming special ed into art

This has been pretty typical practice everywhere I've been. It seems that
many districts do this-mainly in art and pe. I, too, have always found it
strange that these kids are placed in our classes without an assistant,
usually a class larger than they're used to, and oftentimes the art/pe
teacher has no training in special ed. That said-it is possible to adapt
most lessons for these children, and there are many books full of ideas for
doing so. For really severe cases, I would talk to the principal about
having an assistant in your class. Try taking some classes in special ed
(especially if you are required to do in-service training). Perhaps the
resource teachers in your school could teach one, or maybe your district
would provide it for all of you. Try looking at this as a way to prove that
art can help every student in many ways. Showcase the work of your special
kids and brag on them. Soon you will find the resource teachers much more
willing to work with you and you will have validators on your side. It's
not
easy, it is very frustrating, but you can do it. Maybe this summer you
could
plan a bunch of simple adapted projects to have on hand for next year-this
might help to alleviate some of your stress. Some of my best art students
have been special ed kids. Best of luck. Linda in NC