Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1354

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:18:42 PDT

These are my thoughts:
It is not our duty to anesthetize the world for our students. If it
appropriate for the class (and it would be dependent on the class) and
relevant to the "artness" of it, then these extra-art subjects are not
only useful but necessary to dialogue about them. Afterall,
Beethovena and Mozart were both womenizers, Tchaikovsky and Warhol
were homosexuals, Bernstein smoked "cigarettes", Wagner was
antisemitic, and the list could go on. but the actions of these
artists, even if we find them inappropriate, should not keep us from
viewing them or listening to them. nor should we keep them from our
students. we are not the morality police and I would hope noone would
consider themselves to be so. my like of peanut butter, i would hope,
would not keep a parent from my class if she has a dislike of peanut
butter. funny example for sure but just as ridiculous.

sal wilcox