Re: Take 5--Art and Mathematics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:22:34 -0700

Salvador Wilcox wrote:

> Black is the absense of color; white is the presence of all colors.
>
> sal
> From: RWilk85411

> > I have a "lab" that I do when introducing color courtesy of
> these science teachers. Not because I am trying to teach physics in my art
> class but because I am trying to give one more piece of evidence that black
> is the presence of all colors.

You're both right, depending on whether you're talking about light or
pigment. Light is additive color, when the primary colors combine to
make white. Pigment is subtractive color, when they combine to make
black. This thread's long enough without a physics lesson; you can look
it up yourselves.

Maggie