Re: Mainstreaming special ed into art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:35:46 -0400

Hi Sal et al,
Love your sentiments -- I've often bemoaned the fact that schools are so
institutional -- 40 minutes here then boom -- time for another group, 750
kids a week, ad infinitum. Perhaps we lose the "listening" in our attempts
to strive for some kind of process/product that would help us be assured
that each child has continued to grow artistically. How little I actually
know about my students even after having them for 6 years. Sometimes I
think it's because I keep my distance so as not to have favorites. But how
much I miss...
Liz in rural NY

----------
> From: Salvador Wilcox <salvador_wilcox>
>
> To all in this conversation:
>
> I don't know why we worry so much about children doing what we want
> them to do. we must learn to let children tell us what to do. take
> their interests and turn them into teachable moments. is it really
> important that everyone produce a painting of the sea or or an animal,
> or is it expression through art at which we are trying to arrive.
> listen to your children's conversations and help them develop the
> projects from which they are going to learn most.
>
> sal wilcox

.com