Re: Mainstreaming special ed into art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:01:39 PDT

To all in this conversation:

I don't know why we worry so much about children doing what we want
them to do. we must learn to let children tell us what to do. take
their interests and turn them into teachable moments. is it really
important that everyone produce a painting of the sea or or an animal,
or is it expression through art at which we are trying to arrive.
listen to your children's conversations and help them develop the
projects from which they are going to learn most.

sal wilcox

>From: Scurfield <scurfield>
>To: artsednet.edu
>Subject: Mainstreaming special ed into art
>Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:31:16 -0500
>
>Did I ever pose a question which struck a nerve with a lot of you!
>
>Actually I have many special ed kids mainstreamed in and often I
don't
>even know that they are special ed for months. As mentioned by
several
>members, the learning disabled students often do as well--or
>better!--than the regular ed kids. My own personal philosophy for
that
>phenomenon is that they are visual learners and the art room is a
place
>where they shine! But I have two little guys who are just not
>developmentally ready for the lessons I am giving. One is greatly
>helped by his neighbor, who I just recently found out is also in
special
>ed--and I didn't know it! (I just joined this school in January) It
is
>a beautiful thing to watch the helper teach the other child, so maybe
>the situation is OK after all. I was feeling guilty that I relied so
>much on this other child to help me teach, where in reality, I now
think
>"Nick's" teaching is making him learn the concepts so much better.
And