Re: Rainforest/Animals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
The Colliers (atla)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:02:16 +0200

RWilk85411 wrote:

> In a message dated 4/10/99 10:42:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> lcosgrov writes:
>
> << Hi Maggie,
>
> The oldie you're thinking of is called "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", a one-hit
> wonder
> by the Tokens.
>
> Louise in PA
> >>
> The Kingston Trio also recorded this song. Might be easier to find, if you're
> looking.
> Reatha
Hi All,
Here I am on my African hobby horse again.
This song, in the form that The Tokens sang it, still makes many
Africans, especially Zulus, furious.
This song was originally a praise song for King Shaka, and the word
"owemowey" is actually "imbube" which means a male lion. This is how
Shaka is referred to in praise songs.
Also, lions do not live in rain forests but on the savannah.
Sorry for venting, but I get very upset when people take things they
know nothing about and what they present gets taken as fact.

Regards

Tracey in Durban , South Africa
(BTW I was born and spent most of my childhood in Zululand)