From: The Cheevers <lazydog>
To: scurfield <scurfield>; =
artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: mainstreaming special ed into art

My thoughts are that it would make a difference how many students you =
have if they are sending in groups at a time and how disabled the =
special ed kids are. We mainstream alot in Loudoun County VA and the =
spec ed kids fit in pretty smoothly all in all. Some projects are =
adapted to their abilities. For instance I have three boys who are =
terrific artists and draw in their own style all the time. It is very =
difficult to get them to follow directions or conform to class =
procedures. I now have them working on plywood doing big sports guys and =
student characters that they will be mounting in the cafeteria. They are =
are excited about it. They are motivated. I am not fighting with them to =
do "things" and they are learning. Perhaps not all that I had in mind =
but they are not stressed out to come to art class and I am not quashing =
their talent with trying to cram procedures down their throat. =20

I have come to the conclusion that the most effective learning occurs if =
we learn it as we have a need to know it. After 22 years, I try to set =
up situations or problems that motivate the student and give me the =
opportunity to guide them to see the problem and try to find the =
solution. It sounds to me that that is essentially what you've done =
and I commend you for it. Linda K.

------=_NextPart_000_0071_022EA103.3468C000

-----Original = Message-----