Re: another definition request

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:05:37 -0400

Salvador Wilcox wrote:

> Actually, IEP's are required by law; there is no choice involved. IEP
> (individual education plan or prescription) stems from PL94-142 passed
> by Congress in 1975. At that time, it was a one page document.
> Currently it is a 12 page document. If a child is identified as
> handicapped, then each child must have an IEP. An IEP establishes
> the needs and goals of the student and also the strategies that will
> be used to meet them. There must be a tem made up of teachers,
> parents, principals and scholl psychologist by law. It is also
> critical for teachers to follow the plan and document; otherwise, they
> are liable by law.
>
> Salvador Wilcox
>
> >From: Melissa Enderle <melissae>
> >To: "Betty Bowen" <bbowen.ok.us>,"Artsednet"
> <artsednet.edu>
> >Subject: re:another definition request
> >Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:05:20 -0500

> >>another unfamiliar term. would someone please define?
> >IEP's stand for Individual Education Plan. Teachers, resource
> personnel
> >(therapists, etc.) parents and sometimes administration work together
> >determine what a child's special specific needs and goals are. They
> then
> >decide on what approaches or services would be needed to accomplish
> the
> >written goals. Every child with a more significant labeled disability
> >(such as cognitive, phyical disability or emotional disability)
> should
> >have an IEP on them. More minor disabilities or conditions such as
> >diabetes, ADD, epilepsy will probably not have one but may be under a
> >section 504 plan. I've seen some IEP's that specifically list an art
> >therapist or an art teacher on it, mandating that the child gets art
> >services.
> >
> > ____________________________
> > | Melissa Enderle |
> > /)|enderlml.wi.us |(\
> > / )|
> > __( ( art teacher/ adaptive art ) )__
> > ((( \ \ > /_) \ < / / )))
> > (\\\ \ \_/ / \ \_/ / ///)
> > \ / \ /
> > \ _/ \_ /
> > / / \ \
> > / / \ \
> >Melissa Enderle
> >enderlml.wi.us

That's nice in theory however, not all teachers get the student's IEP.
In fact, where I observe for my field experience (in art-ed) the teacher
I observe rarely see's her classified student's IEP. I do believe in
inclusion, but I feel the school and the staff within the school needs
to be properly prepared for the program to work, and this preparation is
not there in many instances.

Ricki