re:another definition request

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:26:32 PDT

Actually, IEP's are required by law; there is no choice involved. IEP
(individual education plan or prescription) stems from PL94-142 passed
by Congress in 1975. At that time, it was a one page document.
Currently it is a 12 page document. If a child is identified as
handicapped, then each child must have an IEP. An IEP establishes
the needs and goals of the student and also the strategies that will
be used to meet them. There must be a tem made up of teachers,
parents, principals and scholl psychologist by law. It is also
critical for teachers to follow the plan and document; otherwise, they
are liable by law.

Salvador Wilcox

>From: Melissa Enderle <melissae>
>To: "Betty Bowen" <bbowen.ok.us>,"Artsednet"
<artsednet.edu>
>Subject: re:another definition request
>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:05:20 -0500
>
>>> IEP's
>>another unfamiliar term. would someone please define?
>IEP's stand for Individual Education Plan. Teachers, resource
personnel
>(therapists, etc.) parents and sometimes administration work together
>determine what a child's special specific needs and goals are. They
then
>decide on what approaches or services would be needed to accomplish
the
>written goals. Every child with a more significant labeled disability
>(such as cognitive, phyical disability or emotional disability)
should